Social Services

To protect the community and slow the spread of COVID-19, Social Services are available online and by phone beginning Thursday, March 19th.

Information on access to Health and Human Services Agency Programs during COVID-19

All services will be available through or by phone. If you need a replacement BIC or EBT card, call your worker and you will be able to pick it up in the lobby at the Rood Center.

Social Services Mission:

The mission of the Department of Social Services (DSS) is opening doors, building community, and being of service to County residents needing social, eligibility, or employment and training services.

The Department of Social Services, as part of the Health & Human Services Agency, exists to offer vital human services to the citizens of Nevada County.

Coronavirus Information: Accessing Services Remotely

To protect our community, The Nevada County Social Services Department is encouraging residents to apply for benefits on line or over the phone. Staff will be assisting customers via phone as much as possible.

To apply for public assistance benefits please apply online at, or contact the department at (530) 265-1340.  

Staff will be processing applications as normal and will contact you via phone if there is additional information needed.

If you have any questions about your ongoing benefits please utilize to email your worker or call your worker directly. Your worker is listed on your case benefit paperwork. 

If you need to drop off documents, there are drop boxes located at Brighton Greens and the Rood Center. The Brighton Greens building is closed to the public, but limited essential in-person services are available at the Rood Center. Face coverings are required at all county offices, and disposable masks will be offered to customers who don’t have one.

We encourage you to practice self-care by washing your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds, sneezing and coughing in to a tissue, and by practicing social distancing and wearing a face covering when in public.

Thank you for helping us keep our community healthy. 

Truckee: Accessing Services Remotely

  • Services will be provided remotely or by appointment only.
  • For Medi-Cal and Social Services, call 530-582-7803.
  • For Public Health Clinic, call 530-582-7814
  • For existing appointments, staff will reach out to you to discuss your appointment.

Truckee: Accesar Servicios Remotamente

  • Se proporcionarán servicios por sistema electrónico o solo con cita.
  • Para Medi-Cal y Servicios Sociales llame a 530-582-7803.
  • Para la Clínica de Salud Pública y los Servicios de Conducto de Salud llame a 530-582-7814.
  • Para las citas existentes, el personal se comunicará con usted para discutir su cita.

Consumer Programs CA Public Utilities Commission

You may qualify for discounted utility programs based on income or medical needs. Review the following related documents for eligibility and ways to apply:

Cash Assistance

Cash Assistance

Here you can find cash assistance for both families and individuals.

Food Assistance

Food Assistance

CalFresh is a federal program that provides monthly food benefits to assist low-income households in purchasing the food they need to maintain adequate nutritional levels.

Health Care


Medical Coverage is available for individuals and families through programs including Medi-Cal and the County Medical Services Program (CMSP).



Housing Authorities of Nevada and Sutter counties have consolidated to form the Regional Housing Authority of Sutter and Nevada Counties.

In Home Supportive Services

In-Home Supportive Services

The IHSS Program provides assistance to eligible aged, blind and disabled individuals who are unable to remain safely in their own homes without this assistance.

Report Child Abuse

Report Child Abuse

Any concerned person can report known or suspected child abuse or neglect. Reports can be made 24 hours per day, 7 days per week by calling 530-273-4291 or 888-456-9380.

Senior Abuse Icon

Report Elder or Dependent Adult Abuse

Any concerned person can report known or suspected elder or dependent adult abuse or neglect. Reports can be made 24 hours per day, 7 days per week by calling 530-265-1639 or 888-339-7248.

Veterans Services

Veterans Services

Veterans of the United States armed forces may be eligible for a broad range of federal, state and local programs and services.